Thread: Winching Techniques

Winching Techniques

Calculating Resistance

The first step to using the techniques provided by the following formulas require that you know your Gross Vehicle Weight of your Jeep within 100 lbs (this must include all gear in your Jeep). Try finding a local truck stop and weigh your Jeep with a full trail load (everything you would normally take on a trail ride).

The Effort required to Un-Stuck a vehicle depends on four distinct variables.

Weight of the stuck vehicle,
    Type of material in which the vehicle is stuck (mire),
    Depth to which the vehicle is stuck,
    Slope up which the vehicle must be winched.

The following is a Mire resistance table. These values represent resistance values when the vehicle is only shallowly stuck and not grounded ( i.e. below the bottom wheel line where the tire meets the wheel).

Hard Surface = 4% Total Vehicle Weight (TVW)
    Grass= 15% TVW
    Gravel= 20 % TVW
    Dry Sand= 25% TVW
    Clay Mud= 50% TVW

The following is a depth resistance table. These values vary based upon how deep you are stuck.
    Wheel Hubs= 100% TVW
    Top of the Tires=200% TVW
    Hood= 300% TVW (you are so screwed)

The slope that you are winching is calculated by adding 10% TVW for every 5 degrees of slope up to 50 degrees. After 50 degrees just add the vehicle weight. If you are heading DOWN a slope the same calculations apply, but you would subtact the slope value, because it will help your recovery.

In addition whenever you use a snatch block (each block should double your pulling power) resistance is created. You must add 10% of the load resistance for each block used.

For an example they used a 5800 pound vehicle stuck in 6" of mud at a 20 degree slope.

(50% x 5800)[mire] + (40% x 5800) [20 degrees of slope=4 x 10% resistance]=5220 lbs of resistance.

That means that the vehicle must overcome 5220 lbs of resistance in order to free itself. Let's do another.

Let's say your Jeep weighs 5000, you are stuck up to the wheel hubs in Dry Sand on a 10 degree slope. You have a 9000 lb winch (See winch write up in tech)

Resistance = Mire+Depth+Slope of the TVW

R= (25% x 5000) + (100% x 5000) + (20% x 5000)
    R= (1250) + (5000) + (1000)
    R= 7250 lbs

You are barely gonna squeak out of this one. Always remember that your winch is strongest when it is unwound and weakest when all the cable is on the drum.

Click "TheTorePark" to check out our YouTube Channel!!
    Give us a call for all your truck & 4x4 accessories!! www.tore.ws

N.A.S.A. Jeep Launch Commander Toy Jeep's Avatar
    I found this article on Pirate4x4.com. It covers winching techniques http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ery/index.html

Great articles. Wish I still had my recovery books from when i drove wrecker. Ive used Winches tons, and I still read word for word any and every article I can to get more info.

I believe anyone with a winch or who will use one should have to read something similar to this.

I also copied the "winching techniques" from the main pages tech for your rig section to my memo, always got it that way and I dojt even have a winch Haha
    R.I.P Cuz.
    Bradley Anderson 1997-2011
    "I'm not sure I want to be associated with anything I'm associated with..."
    I think the jury's still out on science...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy Jeep View Post
    I found this article on Pirate4x4.com. It covers winching techniques http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ery/index.html
    This is a lengthy but informative read

N.A.S.A. Jeep Launch Commander Toy Jeep's Avatar
    Even if you don't have a winch if you are going to be involved in a winch recovery you should read this article so you don't endanger your self or others.
    Last edited by Toy Jeep; 12-27-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy Jeep View Post
    Even if you don't have a winch if you are going to be helping with a winch recovery you should read this article so you don't endanger your self or others.
    I just skiimmed thru it. Will read it in depth later. Looks interesting. Glad me and math are friends lol

Quote Originally Posted by t2c1 View Post
    everything that i get taught on my QL3/5's
    I keep a handy-dandy little card in my field-binder that has all these calc's on it, and a few dry-erase markers cause the card is laminated. Having a little calculator(or a phone that has one) helps with the numbers.

this is also a very VERY good read, something to print off and keep in your glovebox.

http://www.warn.com/corporate/images...PN62885-A2.pdf

also, one thing we(Maintainers) are taught is when in doubt, 2:1

Banned
    Looks like another craft project for me!