Thread: Remote oil filter set up question?

Remote oil filter set up question?

Just putting the finishing touches on the ole’ Willys and one last project which I have been sitting on for a decade is a twin remote oil filter set up. Originally I brought it for my 64’Plymouth with its 383 but never put it on.

Now with the 4.3 in the Willys the stock filter is 3” away from the header and at a location that I think is a rock magnet.

My plan was to use the twin filter relocation kit to move the oil filter to either the firewall or fender wall, slightly higher than the stock location running about 18” of hoses to and from. Using larger filters in a vertical setup with a independent oil pressure gauge on the output line going back to the block to monitor and compare with the block oil pressure gauge.

Questions. First is this just a dumb idea and the stock set up is good enough?
    Second am I just asking for trouble doing this?
    Third is mounting the filter higher than stock a good idea as oil will flow back to the pan leaving the lines empty and the filters full, possible air blockage etc!
    Fourth which is riskier, possible ripped or torn or melted lines or holed stock filter?
    Lastly, with the oil lines running close the the header as the stock filter was, risk of heating up the lines etc!

Been sitting on this for a good ten years and my gut says don’t waste my time putting it on if it was a good idea why not ten years ago, but my brain says it’s a good idea and the reasoning makes sense as well as it looks pretty and shinny.
    Last edited by Iron Mike; 06-01-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Pretty shinny parts.....
    You know my answer!

Joking aside. I wouldn't want my oil filter higher than the stock location. I have seen similar remotes on inner fender well near the rad on a bracket and one on the inside of the front bumper, maybe?

I like the idea of getting out of the way, doubling up filtration/flow, but I feel like more parts to go wrong no?

No experience to draw from on this one. Just gum flapping.

What about adding a beer can sleeve on the oil filter in the stock location?

Yes I am drinking.....why?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    1985 CJ-7 Custom (Flat fendered CJ,YJ,XJ,TJ...)
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ
    RIP 1981 CJ-7 Limited Edition Laredo

Nevermind the beer snuggy....they are flammable.

Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

Quote Originally Posted by DamnCj View Post
    Nevermind the beer snuggy....they are flammable.

Actually a skid plate or some armour for the stock filter is a good idea, I hadn’t thought of that before.

Search "mactions" I think it's on AliExpress. It's a Harley oil filter cage.

Could use a piece of aluminum pipe with a few set screws above the filter lip....

I might have to give this a go too.

Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

Speedway motors has an Offenhauser oil filter cover that uses a "hose clamp style" fastener system. Finned cover looks functional and thick enough to offer protection. Not a bad price either.

Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

One thing to consider is proximity to other engine compartment items. On my inline six the filter is in close proximity to the motor mount. Others on the interweb suggest long filters (Over 4"), or covers i suppose, could get tweaked by the frame mount if the mount is fubar or flex is dramatic. So i would check that before adding to the filter dimensions.
    Ongoing debate regarding Wix 51258 filter (shorty) vs a longer and higher capacity filter.
    There seem to be a bunch of these covers out there from tin to billet ranging from 25 bucks to 200.
    I dont see why some tube and a tap set cant yield the same function.
    I will have to give this a go. Ill post my curbside fabrication attempt in the near future (weather pending).

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

N.A.S.A. Jeep Launch Commander Toy Jeep's Avatar
    The remote filter mount is a good idea. On my brothers rally car/ice racer we used a remote mount oil filter set up with the filter higher than the stock location of the filter with no ill affect. I think that dual fillers might be over kill but they do look cool. You can put heat reflective sleeve on the lines to protect them from the heat. The extra oil pressure gauge if over kill but a dash full of gauges can look kind of cool.
    Not all who wander are lost
    VE6DKS

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Jeep View Post
    The remote filter mount is a good idea. On my brothers rally car/ice racer we used a remote mount oil filter set up with the filter higher than the stock location of the filter with no ill affect. I think that dual fillers might be over kill but they do look cool. You can put heat reflective sleeve on the lines to protect them from the heat. The extra oil pressure gauge if over kill but a dash full of gauges can look kind of cool.
    I think Iíll pursue this further on a rainy weekend, I like the idea of moving the filter, adding more filter and oil capacity.

Iíll go with the double filter set up since I already own it and itís just collecting dust, the extra filter will give me slightly less than an extra liter of oil. The oil pressure gauge at the filter is more for piece of mind for myself, I could monitor the block pressure and filter pressure they should both be the same +/- 5 lbs. I have a spot on the inner fender well which is about 2Ē higher than the stock location but the lines would have to run up and over the header on the fire wall so Iíll belooking at a 8Ē rise then a 6Ē drop on the line.

Going to run Royal Purple. Never used the stuff till a few weeks ago, it was on sale at crappy tire, put it in my Ram 1500 with a 4.7 SOHC with lifter chatter which everyone who has looked at it said is normal (hemi tick, even though itís not a hemi) the engine quite down, lifter chatter went away and a swear sheís quieter and smoother.

N.A.S.A. Jeep Launch Commander Toy Jeep's Avatar
    If you want to increase you oil capacity with out going to a larger sump on you oil pan and prevent oil starvation problem associated with the extreme angles that come with off-roading you could look into one of these https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/accusump it's an accusump for storing oil under pressure and relising it back into the engine when the oil pressure starts to drop. But it is probably over kill for most wheeler's.

And yes I would run the parts I have on the shelf at home not go out and buy more. I like having gauges in my vehicle to let me know what is going on. In my First CJ5 it had several extra gauges added they were all full sweep gauges so I turned them so when every thing was working right the needles pointed straight up so a quick glance was all that was needed to check them, if one of the needles was not straight up then I would look closer. If you have an oil temperature concern adding and oil cooler with the remote oil filter setup will be easy. But the remote filters will add a bit of cooling on there own.

As for Royal Purple I have not heard of any complaints. I run full synthetic oil in all my rigs. with the Ford diesel I have you have to run synthetic oil or it will develop valve train problems.
    Not all who wander are lost
    VE6DKS