Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Subaru Outback "Otto

About 400 highway KM so far and everything is staying put. Still need to clean things up a little. Looking at some RAM mounts to stiffen things up. I have a feeling it's going to stay this way until I upgrade my radio. At that point I'll likely do away with the garage sale CB too.

2018 Subaru Outback
    2007 Jeep Compass
    VA6DWT

NA4WDA Member
    Careful with the transmission cooler in the winter,
    You may run the risk of gelling the oil in the cooler on very cold weather.
    My Dodge normally runs about 56 C.
    Without the winter front, I have seen temps above 90 C due to restricted oil flow.

N.A.S.A. Jeep Launch Commander Toy Jeep's Avatar
    The CB and Ham radio mounting bracket is a nice solution.
    Not all who wander are lost
    VE6DKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jay K View Post
    Careful with the transmission cooler in the winter,
    You may run the risk of gelling the oil in the cooler on very cold weather.
    My Dodge normally runs about 56 C.
    Without the winter front, I have seen temps above 90 C due to restricted oil flow.
    I've been told this by others and I'm going to have to watch things. The tablet in the above picture runs an app that reads from an ODBII under the dash via bluetooth. Lets me watch oil, coolant, and tranny temps complete with custom low and high level alarms. I'm going to keep an eye on what's normal. The internet can't come to a conclusion about if a modern CVT should be on the hot side or cool side. Seems to vary by make. The cooler I've selected is the 'recommended' part for this engine from the manufacturer so it shouldn't be too big but if it is, I'll just have to put a cover over it in the winter. The car might even self regulate. The lower grill has power louvres which open and close automatically to adjust the amount of airflow through the rad.
    2018 Subaru Outback
    2007 Jeep Compass
    VA6DWT

I was having an issue with the tablet mount in the above picture. On bigger bumps it would slip and tilt downwards. The ball which holds the two halves together is tiny and not big enough for the job. I looked into modifying the mount using RAM balls but there just wasn't enough material there.

Instead I went back to magnets. I've always had good luck with these and found something on sale at London Drugs which looked like it would fit the bill. This one is a Scosche MagicMount XL Moving things to the top of the dash also solves a minor issue of the tablet blocking the built in touch screen a little.

I didn't think this sort of mount would work that well but in this case they've combined the super sticky silicone material and a suction cup. The result is a powerful suction cup which will stick to irregular surfaces, and sticks very well even before the lever is pulled to tighten the cup. Again, it's plastic and a little wobbly, but as long as the bottom of the tablet is braced against the dash, it's quite solid.

At first I thought it was a bit too much compared to the previous mount. Then I drove past a new Mercedes...

...not so different...
    2018 Subaru Outback
    2007 Jeep Compass
    VA6DWT

Since I haven't been able to get any garage time lately, and my Lightforce lights are still mocked up in the basement, I decided to gamble and experiment a bit by buying some 9005 LED headlight bulbs from Aliexpress to try in the Lightforce lights. They cost about $16 shipped a set. Good reviews and an advertised 4000 lumens per bulb. I bought two sets and they came today...about 11 days. Not bad for a trip from China.

The bulbs are a direct swap except the cooling fan makes them too deep and they wouldn't clear the back shell of the light housing. A few taps with a drift punch later and the fans were in the bin...and the bulbs were mounted about 15 minutes after that. I figure if the housings can handle heat from 100 Watt Xenophot bulbs, they can handle 40ish Watts of LED heat. The housings have a lot of space inside so the bare heatsinks should get the job done without a fan...and if not I'm only out a few bucks.

They definitely aren't 4000 Lumens per bulb but are still bright. The colour is very clean, very white, and the beam pattern has no dead spots. I'm not going to lie, the build quality isn't anything to write home about. The lights all worked, all lit when powered, and all lit up consistently in brightness and colour...what more do you need?

Overall I like the results. If these fall apart or fail in any way, I'll invest in some higher quality LED bulbs to replace them. I also picked up a set to do my fog lights. I'm really curious to see how that works out. I should have those swapped in soon.
    Last edited by DaveT; 04-14-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    2018 Subaru Outback
    2007 Jeep Compass
    VA6DWT

I've been out of commission due to a surgery so banned from working...at home or at work. Just getting back into things now and took today to check off some items with the ole Subaru. I'd been dreading pulling the bumper cover off but it was crazy easy. 16 plastic body rivets and a bit of wiggling...that's all!

First thing was the horns. I hate hate hate the OE horns. I'm not sure anybody has ever noticed them or taken them seriously. Luckily for me the Hella Supertone rally horns I bought fit in the OE positions perfectly.

The Hellas are huge if you've never played with them before. They are very loud, very grating, and very obnoxious...just what a horn should be.

While I had the front off I swapped the fog lights out again. The same bulbs I'll be running in my Lightforce lights only with the H11 plug.

Also gave me a chance to measure for the trans cooler. It's also going to go in super easy. I also measured for some brackets I'm going to build for mounting to the steel bumper for mounting the driving lights. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to do it without mucking up the plastic but I've finally figured it out. Will require bolting through the bumper but the brackets will come out through the lower grill and should be pretty much invisible until the bar is bolted to them. Didn't have time today to make a run for the right bolts but I should have them mounted up in a week or two...especially now that I know how easy it is to pull the plastic off.
    2018 Subaru Outback
    2007 Jeep Compass
    VA6DWT

Pulling off front bumpers is not hard an most newer vehicles nowadays. Some cars it's required to replace the headlamp bulbs.
    I have a 1999 Ranger consisting of mostly Ford parts ranging from 1979 to 2005.

This week I put together version 2 of my full size spare tire (and more) carrier and put about 400km on it. I just got home and it worked out pretty well. There are a few things that I need to change and a few things I need to address but overall everything is working out well.

Among other things, I need to reinforce the spare tire carrier so that it won't move. A pothole dislodged it a little. The wiring needs to be cleaned up and better protected from wetness, and the hitch ball is way too low. I'm going to convert it into a tow shackle with better ground clearance.

I also need a steel jerry can because my plastic ones won't fit in the Smitty Built jerry can carrier I installed...if anybody knows were I can find a can which will fit without breaking the bank let me know. I'd also like to find some traction boards short enough to fit on the inside of the basket. It would be a perfect place to carry something like that.

The lights are super el-cheapo chinese lights on Ram mounts I had laying around. I did this so that I could aim the lights rearwards no matter the orientation of the basket...and for another project which will repurpose the lights as yard lights in camp...more on that to come later. They are powered through the trailer wiring via a harness with a wireless remote. No wiring had to be installed in the car to make it work.

This week I should have the roof basket set up (I'm considering painting it black before installing it) and will be working on, finally, getting the driving lights going.
    2018 Subaru Outback
    2007 Jeep Compass
    VA6DWT

The Red Plastic Jerrycans donít fit in most off-road holders.

Princess Auto has some Green Military spec plastic ones that fit.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 JK Sahara 'Pavement Princess'

2005 TJ Rubicon (sold)

My Build Thread

VA6STV