Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: CJ7 Re-build V2

Have to agree about the T18 and the Muncie...great transmissions but noisy and are definitely old school in thought..If all else fails grind it.
    The granny low was a total loss for anything in the city, and I did not really use it a lot off road, usually pulling someone out of a ditch or moving a tree, low range and bull low..damn thing could climb a wall..lol
    Personally I would look real close at the AX15.
    Just my 2 cents..

Quote Originally Posted by Ice_cold View Post
    Just my 2 cents..
    Lots of used jeeps out there and at the pick and pulls
    73 F250 ccsb 4x4. Not so stock "Egor"
    98 Cherokee. Sorta stock. "Winchester"

It's the little things....

Quote Originally Posted by Ice_cold View Post
    Have to agree about the T18 and the Muncie...great transmissions but noisy and are definitely old school in thought..If all else fails grind it.
    The granny low was a total loss for anything in the city, and I did not really use it a lot off road, usually pulling someone out of a ditch or moving a tree, low range and bull low..damn thing could climb a wall..lol
    Just my 2 cents..
    AX15 Seems to get me what I'm after. Kicker is all of the little extras add up to a grand real quick. Bell housing, master, slave, lines, d300 adapter, mount, custom bushing, new clutch, etc...
    Really wishing there was a worthwhile T5 upgrade path. Too bad.
    1985 CJ-7 Custom (Flat fendered CJ,YJ,XJ,TJ...)
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ
    RIP 1981 CJ-7 Limited Edition Laredo

Drove 2 1/2 hours south today to look at an AX15. Looked pretty good. Shifts really well, new seals all around, gears feel right. Tough to say for sure but i figure it's worth a shot. So I bought it. Came with the newer bell housing (external slave), a short shifter, and a trans mounting bracket to start fab with.

Shopping around for all the other odds an sods now.
    Think I have it beat through two online stores.
    Found the throw out, bushing, pivot, pivot spring, a complete hydro kit, and a clocking ring all new for $450 CDN delivered.

I might just get this done for less than a grand. $1500 if I have to throw a rebuild kit in it.
    Maybe another $2-300 for drive shaft modifications. But I am tempted to re-visit my engine placement and see if I can't suck everything forward about 2 inches. That way I might be able to get back to about 4 degrees on the motor, get a stock shroud to fit the fan, and potentially avoid mods to my brand new rear shaft and my rebuilt front shaft.

Thinking forward about how I think the AX15 will sit and how I am going to want to modify the skid plate and drop bars. I might get the AX15 to sit where I want it by sliding the motor back to stock location (pre-lift) and removing the drop bars. That way the extra length of the AX15 and the clocking ring should not sit too far out from where the T5 sat. The lift should give me the extra room to accommodate my rear drive shaft.

Unless I'm missing something.

With my list of parts together I am going to give it a few days before I order just in case I forget something.

This should be an interesting swap.
    Now it will be a CJ/YJ/TJ/XJ!

Didn't Johnny cash write a song like that?
    Cadillac I think but same idea.
    Last edited by DamnCj; 06-17-2017 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Wrong prices posted (fat fingers)
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

N.A.S.A. Jeep Launch Commander Toy Jeep's Avatar
    Yes and here it is just to lighten things up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM
    Not all who wander are lost
    VE6DKS

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Jeep View Post
    Yes and here it is just to lighten things up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM
    Fantastic! Thanks for that. Feeling better about the whole adventure already!!!
    One Piece at a time....
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

Quote Originally Posted by DamnCj View Post
    One Piece at a time....
    That is the best way to build a jeep, One Piece at a Time.
    Come to think of it that is the best way to keep a jeep running. Just keep fixing it One Piece at a Time.
    Last edited by Toy Jeep; 06-19-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    VE6DKS

Update:
    All of my parts came in. Novak does nice work. Adjustable throw out is cool. Clocking ring, well, clocks. Hydro kit complete plus rebuild kit is very nice. Can't wait to get it all in. Just put the master cylinder in today, drilled the clutch pedal and fit up a shoulder bolt as a pivot. Travel seems right.
    Went under it and pulled the spring plate off the clutch on a whim and found the clutch is still okay but I'm not doing this again for awhile so I pulled it.
    Pulled the flywheel with help from my son and had a guru look it over. His opinion was to replace it (and the rear Main seal while it's out in the open). Shopping and waiting for more parts! DamnCJ. Losing what's left of the summer in it. At this rate it will be October before it rolls out again.
    Looking forward to seeing how the AX15 does and how the hydro clutch feels.
    Jeep days ......
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

It sounds like soon you will have a new jeep. Looking at all the work people are doing on there rigs makes me think that I better get back to work on one of my jeeps.
    VE6DKS

Canada Post reports my flywheel is in from Rock Auto!!! Off to pick it up tonight. Wish i could find an AX15 dust cover though....
    Next week is looking like i get to take my dry fit driveline out of my basement and start bolting it up to see how it all fits (or how it can be made to fit...).
    So its flywheel, new bushing specific to the ax15 interfacing to the IL258, New CJ7 clutch and spring plate, Novak adjustable throw out for the AX15, 98 cherokee AX15, Novak clocking ring, my dana 300 (i recently rebuilt) with new "double seal from Novak, fab to fit transmission mounts, then measure up for shaft modifications, off to fabrication for for driveshafts modifications, clutch master and clutch pedal modifications (done in advance), hydrolic line routing, slave install (rebuildable from Novak) bleed, fill, test, and hopefully driving it again.
    Not sure how long this will take but away we go.
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ