Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: CJ7 Re-build V2

I popped the body off the frame and used my hi-lift to pull the whole works over the half inch it was out. Now my hood lines up reasonably well and will close and lock properly.
    Built a custom hoodlock that is 100 times better than any of the after market crap. Nice being able to lock it! No I can fit the welder up and not get it stolen!
    1985 CJ-7 Custom (Flat fendered CJ,YJ,XJ,TJ...)
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ
    RIP 1981 CJ-7 Limited Edition Laredo

So on closer inspection the wire block is done. Need a new one for sure.
    Kwickwire 14 circuit 1st choice about $550 (way nicer block, kill switch, prewired relays), Painless 21 universal local for $500, or EZ Wire 18 circuit for $375.
    Hummin and hawin.
    Really like how clean Kwickwire is.
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

Splurged on the Kwickwire kit. It arrives today. Pretty excited to see this thing!
    No more licking my fingers to put out little fires while im driving.....
    Pulling the old wire out i fou d a few slices made with duct tape and no connectors. Just twisted mess.
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

Performed an exorcisim on the Jeep. All the wirez are out. Cut out the drivers floorpan. Chasing rust this weekend.
    Couldnt find an upper airbox so mine is patched up and i am scaling photos to get enough data together to fab my own heater box control.
    Mad to take it on but not many options left (that i like).
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

Loomed the Quickwire kit....it is excellent. Finished the steering column restoration.
    Converting the steering shaft to a propper u-joint now. Once the floor is back in and welder put away i will be installing the harness.
    Maybe then i can test out the ax15 and clutch. Oh i was given a brand new pair of shoulder belts! My wife will be happy! Lap belts drive her crazy.
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

Well, got to drive it. For 15 minutes.
    Dies after a few minutes. Strong up until then. Sounds great then nothing. Just dies.
    New wire front to back, MSD Streetfire, new distributor, MSD coil, fuel lines, fuel filter,....
    Carb wzs set up and ran fine when i parkd it. Same with the electric choke.
    Im lost.
    Starts, Idles, drives, dies.
    Restarts fine after a few minutes of sitting.
    Hmmmmm.
    Any suggestions?
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

Does it sputter the die? Does all the electrical die at the same time?

New fuel lines, did you run them a different route are they close to a heat source? Vapour lock?

Electric choke, is it adjustable? Could be when the choke closes when at operating temp it’s killing a circuit to The ignition, then when it cools it’s open It up again. Once running try disconnecting the choke wires to see if it effects the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
    Does it sputter the die? Does all the electrical die at the same time?

New fuel lines, did you run them a different route are they close to a heat source? Vapour lock?

Electric choke, is it adjustable? Could be when the choke closes when at operating temp it’s killing a circuit to The ignition, then when it cools it’s open It up again. Once running try disconnecting the choke wires to see if it effects the motor.
    Hey Iron Mike! Thanks for the ideas.
    It doesnt really sputter, kind of lopes once or twice but mostly just a clean shut down. Just stops running. Up until then you can idle it or run it up and rev it no problem. I can get e few blocks.
    Sometimes it backfires or pops at the carb. If i catch it as soon as it starts to feel a second of boggy pedal i can keep it alive a second or two longer if i bury the gas to the floor. But it feels weak for a second like half the power is gone then off.
    Electrical stays intact without any glitches.

Fuel lines are a nice clean run from the fuel pump down the passenger side frame. Changes in direction are pretty smooth.
    I ran two lines planning ahead for fuel injection (didnt have a return line, doesnt have a charcoal canistor, just a straight feed from tank, through a filter, to the mech pump.

I cracked the spare line open and pulled the gas cap but no change, Blew out the filter too.

Ran the choke full lean through full rich. Still dies.
    Same with the carb, leaned it out then ran it through to full rich. Still dies. Bottom end of lean it dies faster of course.
    Ran the timming through a range as well. Its abvious when it hits its sweet spot though.

Must be a pinched fuel line or a fueal restriction somehow?
    Maybe the new style fuel filter....(meant for fuel injected).

Im going to run a gas can through a filter to the pump directly and see if it sorts out. Try to eliminate fuel as an issue.
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

At first i thought it was heat related, once it warmed up it would shut down. But i can restart only a few minutes later and run for a few minutes before it shuts off.
    It will play along repeating this as many times as i try.(i swear its laughing at me).
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

let us know what happens when you bypass the fuel filter, sounds like its running to lean, not enough fuel flow thru a filter ment for the higher pressures of fuel injection would do that.

I had a MG back in the day and put on a big bore Webber with electric choke, on the engine was warmed up the choke would shut off and the engine die because it was getting less fuel, the choke was adding extra fuel. I switched to a manual choke and re jetted the carb, as it was running to lean. Ran like a champ after that.
    Last edited by Iron Mike; 08-17-2018 at 10:43 AM.