Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Linkage Woes - Roadside repairs

Clutch Linkage Woes - Roadside repairs

Got the CJ on the road for a test run this week.
    22km in and the clutch hit the floor and didn't come back.
    CJ took a tin tinkle and dropped jeep jewels all over the road.
    Pulled over, jumped out, and dodged traffic while I danced around gathering up what I could find on the asphalt.
    The linkage pulled apart and threw the lower clutch rod assembly out along with the bellcrank clips and bushings on that side. Looks like the stud on the bell housing side is snapped losing half its length. Anyway, 20 minutes later I had it pierced together again and was merrily on my way.
    Didnt get new grease in it that night (zerk is flat) and figured i would risk it the next day. Got me to my destination. Then halfway home it tinkled again. A little traffic dodging to pick the parts and a few minutes to assemble and i was off.
    10 minutes later it tinkled again. This time a handful of wrenches linked together are forming a temporary brace secured with baler wire. Bent up a few clips out of some light gauge spring steel (sacrificed from my wrench retainer clips). It got me home.
    Long story short. Its obviously time for new parts. I want hear thoughts on replacing the whole mechanical set-up with a hydro from a YJ or TJ or am i wasting my time? At least mechanical can be bent back, strapped up, rigged, etc when it goes. Anyone here convert this before? How did it last?

A lot of play top to bottom on my clutch fork i noticed as well. Feels like the top of the fork is not secure. 1/2 to 3/4 inch of play up/down when not under spring tension and clutch rod assy is out. Is that normal?
    Thanks
    1985 CJ-7 Custom (Flat fendered CJ,YJ,XJ,TJ...)
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ
    RIP 1981 CJ-7 Limited Edition Laredo

NA4WDA Member (renewal due) JKGK's Avatar
    I can't offer anything concrete on experiences with the clutch and linkage but I do give an "A" for resourcefulness in getting mobile. I would have been tempted to set it on fire on event #3!
    Take care.

Gord
    Having a Jeep and no road is better than having a road and no Jeep!

2013 Sahara 2 Dr "Scraper" (The Fenderless Wonder!), R/E 2-1/2" lift, BFG MT TA's for Off Road, Rampage "Stubby" Recovery Front Bumper, Rampage Recovery Rear Bumper, Rampage driving lights in front bumper, PIIA fog lights on front bumper and Rampage fog lights in rear bumper, DayStar switch panel, IPF H4 Headlamps,
    WARN M8000 winch, Rampage Retractable RockerGuard Steps, Ten Factory chrome-moly front axles, RockHard oil pan skid plate, Teraflex diff covers, Teraflex Quick Disconnect sway bar links, Teraflex Dana 30 outer axle seals, Dana 30 Eaton TrueTrac LSD, Dana 44 Eaton TrueTrac LSD.
    It's a fun little machine!

Quote Originally Posted by JKGK View Post
    I can't offer anything concrete on experiences with the clutch and linkage but I do give an "A" for resourcefulness in getting mobile. I would have been tempted to set it on fire on event #3!
    Take care.

Gord
    Actually, never minded chucking wrenches at the Jeep, with cell phones at least you can re-schedule life to accommodate an attention seeking Jeep. It just needed a little tickle this time.
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

Yeah. I found a few kits. Just dont know how reliable they are. The manual linkage has gone 200K plus since 1985. Thats not bad. I see a lot of noise about master and slave cyl failures on YJ & TJ. Right now Im leaning toward RR Heavy Duty Linkage Upgrade to remove the metal on metal action. http://www.ruggedridge.com/heavy-dut...-16919-30.html
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

Sounds like a lot of play. Maybe watch it while someone presses the clutch with the cable connected (if it goes back together again.) See how much it deflects or if it goes straight back. Could be the root cause is a broken clip on the bearing or a worn/broken ball stud. It sounds like you're planning on taking the whole thing apart anyway though. Hopefully the cause is obvious.
    aka "the snowplow"
    VE6JCW

Quote Originally Posted by whitebronco View Post
    Sounds like a lot of play. Maybe watch it while someone presses the clutch with the cable connected (if it goes back together again.) See how much it deflects or if it goes straight back. Could be the root cause is a broken clip on the bearing or a worn/broken ball stud. It sounds like you're planning on taking the whole thing apart anyway though. Hopefully the cause is obvious.
    Bingo, I think your right, when you said it it struck me that the fork felt like it was pivoting off the bottom clip.
    Well that just turned into a bit more work than I wanted. The clutch linkage is pretty easy on the ground but I have never tried to pull the clutch itself without a lift.
    I will have to think about that one.
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

N.A.S.A. Jeep Launch Commander Toy Jeep's Avatar
    Here is my 2 cents worth on the subject. I have a CJ5 that has a mechanical linkage I would like to replace it with a hydraulic clutch assembly. The reasons are that the stock linkage is worn out and as a CJ gets older the frame gets more flexible and with this flex there is a chance that when you are off-road and you get the jeep all crossed up you can twist the frame to the point that the clutch will disengage on its own or that you wont be able to get it to disengage. As for the problems that you mentioned with the YJ hydraulic clutch assemblies it is a failure of the combination slave cylinder/pilot bearing the seal would fail because of the dirt.
    Not all who wander are lost
    VE6DKS

Makes sense. What a polite way to say my frame is nearly done....flexible frame....almost sounds like a feature when you put it that way.
    I think i will scrounge up a few parts (tranny mount, bellcrank clips and bushings) then fab the firewall bracket to drop it an inch to line things up a bit more true (body and suspension lift compensation).
    Bolt up and drive until I can find the hydro solution I like. No point in pulling it used if I am going to the trouble. Kits look reasonable ($200).
    Just wondering if I should scrap the whole external rig and go with an internal hydro throw-out instead.
    Gets rid of the fork in the process and fills a hole in the housing.
    Further in i look the more I will want to change......
    Hmmmm tranny options......maybe this winter.
    Picked n Parted 1987 YJ
    Sold 1998 XJ

If you've done anything funky like put in a heavier clutch, take that into account when sizing a hydraulic conversion.
    VE6AKT
    98 ZJ 5.9 LTD "Miner"
    77 CJ7 5.0 "Sparky"
    98 ZJ 4.0 Laredo "Junior"
    RIP 94 ZJ "Rammy"