Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 1952 Willys M38 build

Getting exciting here, things are finally coming together.

Windshield finished and installed, new 12v motors and wipers. And fresh paint, going to go with a flat tan/kaki with semi gloss black accents and interior.

New springs, pro-comp YJ 2 1/2" lift springs, a near identical match to the old ones in terms of height, new u-bolts, ditched the grade 5 7/16 ones and went with 1/2 grade 8, also upgraded the spring bolts from 1/2" to 9/16" and from grade 5 to 8. Polly bushings to finished them off, found out it's easier to change springs two at a time than one at a time. Got the front 50% done, should finish it the front next week, then to the rear.

The list is getting shorter and spring is getting closer.

And now for some pics. 😎

N.A.S.A. Jeep Launch Commander Toy Jeep's Avatar
    Nice, look at all those shinny parts. You are making great progress.
    Not all who wander are lost
    VE6DKS

Been making progress. Got my on board air hooked up and working, along with a washer pump, made a washer fluid jug out of a stainless steel water bottle. Finished the wiring, finalized the battery location, and everything in the engine bay has a home, even the old 24v military horn, which works just fine on 12v. Also drained the gearbox oil, looked like new.

The on board air was a viair kit for my JK which I made work on the willys, the pump is in the engine bay where one of the batteries would have been, the 2 gallon tank is behind the seats, with one coupling up front and one in the rear. I get 140 psi and enough volume to use my princess auto impact wrench, was able to loosen 5 lug nuts before the pump kicked in, also can fill a 33" tire in under 3 minutes, 5psi to 32psi.

Between Fires, Floods and a booming economy (I don't work in oil and gas) I have not had time to work on the Willys since the spring. But last weekend and this, I was able to get a full roll cage installed.

I used the factory rear roll bar, 2" 1/8" tube as a base, made a front hoop out of 2" 3/16" tube, tied it into the frame through the floor and attached to the rear bar with some spreaders, fits nicely under the bikini top and soft top.

I do have pictures but can't post them for some reason.

Also changed the fluids in all the drive line components, and if anyone is interested in how many plumbs a squirrel and stash on top of a gear box and t-case, the answer is 58.

None of your old pictures are showing up either. Not sure what's going on. I'll try to have a poke around or see if Ian can look at it.

Steve
    2015 JK Sahara 'Pavement Princess'

2005 TJ Rubicon (sold)

My Build Thread

VA6STV

Just a quick picture of the roll cage to see if I figured out how to link to a photobucket account. ��

The roll cage looks good. I see you have some RC off-roaders to help you while-away your time while waiting for parts to arrive.
    VE6DKS

Up and driving about.

Only three years behind schedule but I think this video says it all.

https://youtu.be/wpu7d44_H1A

Still gave a little work to do, install rear springs, mount shocks and a radiator overflow bottle, along with a few leaks in the t-case to track down.

Trying to finish for the Darwell Ag-Drag next weekend, fingers crossed.

It looks fantastic
    VE6DKS

I thought I got dibs on first test drive LOL. Looks great - does me happy to see the Jeep I started many years ago nearing completion.